Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thoughts on Adult...ness

The sad truth is that legally being classified as an adult has had no effect whatsoever on my responsibility level. Then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I had this vision of turning 18 back in July and morphing into someone who:

  • Goes to class regularly.
  • Does homework before the night before the day it's due...
  • ...Or the day it's due.
  • Does laundry before it got to the point where there is only one remaining clean outfit, which outfit may or may not rely heavily on pajama bottoms.
  • Remembers to take their multivitamins, and calcium supplements.
  • Gets up when the alarm goes off, rather then getting up after hitting the snooze button approximately five hundred times.
  • Develops a mature, cultured personality and sense of humor.
  • Actually finishes personal projects, ever.
  • Doesn't spend all her money on frivolous shoes.
  • Washes dishes the moment they are dirtied. Or even the day they are dirtied.
  • Remembers to water her plants.
  • Writes in her journal regularly, rather than starting about six journals a year with the best of intentions, only to give up three entries in.
  • Drinks plenty of water, rather than plenty of ginger ale.
  • Eats enough fiber.
  • Goes to bed at a reasonable hour, rather than staying up till 3 online for no apparent reason. Or rather, a reason that is completely useless, such as collegehumor.
  • Thinks to check whether her temple recommend is in her wallet before she leaves, rather than once she is already at the temple.
I am guilty of not doing all of the above, but weighing on my mind particularly heavily is the last on the above list. I had every intention of going to the temple this morning, once I'd woken up and found out that was in the plans for the day. I got up obscenely early for a Saturday, and I dressed up, and I searched all over my room for my wallet, in which I keep my temple recommend.

Usually.

Long story short, it wasn't there and I found this out when I'd already walked to the temple. Not really all that big a deal, but it only served to reinforce how pathetically infantile I can be in my responsibility level.

So I am now resolved. I am going to act like an adult. I am going to be responsible and actually accomplish things. I am magically going to morph into someone who is motivated. I am going to stop overusing italics now.


The problem, though, is that this is not the first time I've made such an attempt. Far from it. Far better at illustrating the cycle of adulthood than myself, however, is Allie Brosh, writer of Hyperbole and a Half, the funniest blog of all time. If you don't read it, you should. Start here, because this particular post is relevant to what I've been rambling about: "This is Why I'll Never be an Adult."

Also, completely unrelated but extremely important, sort of:

Today, I watched "How to Train Your Dragon," which incidentally is the best movie ever, and discovered, during the closing credits, the most fantastic song. It's called "Sticks and Stones" by Jonsi. You should look it up. Right now. I'm not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment